practice prompt 2

Pollution Prompt

By: Margaret Manolache

Did you know that America buys more bottled water than any other nation in the world? (that is a lot of bottled water!) Have you ever wondered where that water goes when it is recycled of thrown away? Most people think it goes to a landfill, that is correct but it can also go many other places that are good and bad. From reading two authentic articles called, “Drinking Water: Bottled or from the Tap?” by Catherine Clarke Fox and “Art for Ocean Animals” by Elise Jonas-Delson I have found many differences and similarities. For example, they both talk about ways you can preserve water. That is just one similarity. In my next paragraph I will state more similarities.

From reading  “Drinking Water: Bottled or from the Tap?” by Catherine Clarke Fox and “Art for Ocean Animals” by Elise Jonas-Delson I have spotted many similarities. One similarity the two articles state is, they both talk about how important it is to preserve water. I know because in “Drinking Water: Bottled or from the Tap?” by Catherine Clarke Fox it says, “But all those plastic bottles use a lot of fossil fuels and pollute the environment. In fact, Americans buy more bottled water than any other nation in the world, adding 29 billion water bottles a year to the problem. In order to make all these bottles, manufacturers use 17 million barrels of crude oil. That’s enough oil to keep a million cars going for twelve months.

Imagine a water bottle filled a quarter of the way up with oil. That’s about how much oil was needed to produce the bottle.” Also in “Art for Ocean Animals” by Elise Jonas-Delson it also says, “ What do you do when you see litter on the beach? You pick it up, of course. But artist Angela Haseltine Pozzi doesn’t throw it away. She uses the trash to create giant sculptures of marine animals. The project is called Washed Ashore and its goal is to raise awareness about the effects of littering on ocean animals.” That is just one similarity. Now I will sate just another. Another similarity is, both texts talk about what effect pollution will have to our planet. I know this because I found text evidence. In “Drinking Water: Bottled or from the Tap?” by Catherine Clarke Fox I found some text evidence why. It states, “People love the convenience of bottled water. But maybe if they realized the problems it causes, they would try drinking from a glass at home or carrying water in a refillable steel container instead of plastic. Unfortunately, for every six water bottles we use, only one makes it to the recycling bin. The rest are sent to landfills. Or, even worse, they end up as trash on the land and in rivers, lakes, and the ocean. Plastic bottles take many hundreds of years to disintegrate.” My final text evidence is in “Art for Ocean Animals” by Elise Jonas-Delson it states, “plastic doesn’t break down and become absorbed by the environment. Instead, sunlight breaks it down into pieces about the size of plankton, which are tiny organisms that float in the sea. These tiny pieces of plastic enter the food chain. Sea animals eat them and end up dying. Another sculpture, called Fish Bite Fish, is shaped like a fish and made out of little bits of plastic that contain tooth and claw marks from the fish and crabs that tried to devour the plastic.” Finally, I found one more similarity between the two texts. My last similarity is, in both texts they talk about a way to help preserve water. For example, in “Drinking Water: Bottled or from the Tap?” by Catherine Clarke Fox it implies, “Plastic bottle recycling can help—instead of going out with the trash, plastic bottles can be turned into items like carpeting or cozy fleece clothing. Think about how often you use water bottles, and see if you can make a change. Remember this: Recycling one plastic bottle can save enough energy to power a 60-watt light bulb for six hours.” Those are just afew similarities between the two legitimate articles Water: Bottled or from the Tap?” by Catherine Clarke Fox and “Art for Ocean Animals” by Elise Jonas-Delson. Now I will orate some differences between the two texts.

In addition to similarities, there are also many differences. From reading the two articles Water: Bottled or from the Tap?” by Catherine Clarke Fox and “Art for Ocean Animals” by Elise Jonas-Delson I initiated some differences. (found differences.)